Across Africa, the key energy challenge is how to electrify millions of households, communities and businesses as quickly as possible. The 5th Nigeria Energy Forum 2020 (NEF2020) will focus on safer, cleaner and sustainable energy services for all through a capacity building, training and development programme for policy makers, business leaders, energy innovators, professional engineers, industry experts and academics in Nigeria and other African countries.
The NEF is the foremost energy advocacy and policy dialogue platform in Nigeria. NEF2020 will feature high-level participation from the Government of Nigeria, UN Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), US Agency for International Development (USAID)/PowerAfrica, UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the African Development Bank.
At NEF2019, Ambassador Ketil Karlsen, Head of EU Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS made a keynote presentation. Also, NEF2017 had representation of the Acting President of Nigeria, Prof. Osinbajo and the Minister of Power, Mr. Fashola, both represented by Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Power, Mr. Edozien.
The 5th NIEEE-NEF2020 is proposed to hold in Abuja, Nigeria, with the theme ‘Advancing Clean Energy Sustainability’. The Forum aims to:
✓ Address energy access challenges; ✓ Build technical capacity; and ✓ Promote energy innovation and investments.
It is envisaged that over 300 participants at the Forum will engage with inspiring keynote presentations and exchange knowledge across 3 technical sessions with focus on:
• Accelerating Clean Growth and Efficiency;
• Facilitating Private Investments for Clean Energy; and
• Increasing Distributed Generation Connections;
Up to 6 by 1-hour capacity building hands-on workshops each targeted to 150 participants are proposed to be delivered by international speakers and experts. The NEF2020 workshops are to focus on:
▪ Renewable Electricity Portal – by Rensource, Nigeria.
▪ Multi-Energy Systems Research – by FLEXIS, EU-funded project, Cardiff University, UK (confirmed).
▪ Clean Energy Technologies & Battery Storage – by US Trade and Development Agency (confirmed).
▪ Energy Management for Industrial Services – by UNIDO, Austria (confirmed).
▪ Nigeria Power Sector Program – by USAID/PowerAfrica, managed by Deloitte (tbc).
▪ UK-Nigeria Energy Trade & Investment Roundtable – by UK Department for International Trade (tbc).
An Energy Innovation and Poster Exhibition will be held to foster business engagement with financial institutions, manufactures and project developers, share knowledge on emerging technologies, and showcase clean energy research outcomes. The 5th Africa Energy Innovation Competition organized by the NIEEE-NEF will inspire energy solutions, train energy innovators and promote energy entrepreneurship across Nigeria and Africa. Finalists will make a live-pitch and receive awards at the NEF2020.